If you usually work with heavy libraries, an external hard drive SSD is probably the best you can buy to edit with Final Cut Pro X .
Of course, you must bear in mind that the price of SSDs is high compared to mechanical hard drives and achieving high storage capacities can be a significant expense.
I’ll talk about Thunderbolt hard drives in another article, but I think that for value for money and for compatibility, USB-C hard drives (which can go up to around 900MB / s) are a great alternative.
Keep in mind that better performance is not always needed or obtained with the faster hard drive: if you are working with codecs with data rates between 100 and 500 mbps (figure to divide by 8 to get the actual megabytes per second), any SSD will be able to play multiple layers at the same time.
- 1 1. Apple iMac 21.5in 2.7GHz Core i5 (ME086LL/A) All In One Desktop, 8GB Memory
- 2 2. G-Technology 4TB G-DRIVE USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive
- 3 3. WD_Black 2TB P10 Game Drive, Portable External Hard Drive
- 4 4. WD 5TB My Passport Ultra for Mac Silver Portable External Hard Drive HDD
- 5 5. SanDisk 1TB Extreme PRO Portable External SSD
- 6 6. G-Technology 4TB G-DRIVE Mobile USB-C Portable External Hard Drive
- 7 7. LaCie Rugged Mini 4TB External Hard Drive Portable HDD
- 8 8. SAMSUNG T5 Portable SSD 1TB – Up to 540MB/s
- 9 9. WD_Black 8TB D10 Game Drive, Portable External Hard Drive
- 10 10. SanDisk 1TB Extreme Portable External SSD
1. Apple iMac 21.5in 2.7GHz Core i5 (ME086LL/A) All In One Desktop, 8GB Memory
- Intel Iris Pro Graphics
- 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 Processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.2 GHz) with 6MB L3 cache
- 21.5-inch (Diagonal) LED-backlit Display with IPS Technology; 1920-by-1080 Resolution
- 1TB Hard Drive, 8 GB (Two 4 GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 Memory
- This Certified Refurbished product has been tested and certified to work and look like new, with minimal to no signs of wear, by a specialized third-party seller approved by Amazon. The product is backed by a minimum 90-day warranty, and may arrive in a generic brown or white box. Accessories may be generic and not directly from the manufacturer
2. G-Technology 4TB G-DRIVE USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive
- High speed USB 3.0 for universal, high-speed data transfer
- Solid, stylish all-aluminum case for durability
- With capacities up to 18TB for multimedia intensive files (Total accessible capacity varies depending on operating environment.)
- Time Machine-ready for easy file back-up
- Plug-and-play on Mac; easily reformatted on Windows
3. WD_Black 2TB P10 Game Drive, Portable External Hard Drive
- With speeds up to 140MB/s and available in capacities up to 5TB of extra storage, the WD_Black P10 Game Drive will push your console or PC to new levels of performance. (Based on read speed and internal testing. As used for transfer rate, megabyte per second (MB/s) = one million bytes per second. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software components and configurations.)
- Comes with an 18-inch (457mm) USB Type-A to Micro-B cable with SuperSpeed interface up to 5Gbps. (Cable length may vary.)
- Portable and durable form factor that provides fast access to your gaming library, anywhere you go.
- High-performance HDD to optimize your console or PC gaming experience and drive your game.
- Purpose-built for gamers based on WD_Black quality and reliability so you can play without limits.
4. WD 5TB My Passport Ultra for Mac Silver Portable External Hard Drive HDD
- USB-C and USB 3.1 compatible
- Innovative style with refined metal cover
- Password protection with 256-bit AES hardware encryption
- Formatted for Mac
- 3-Year manufacturer's limited warranty
5. SanDisk 1TB Extreme PRO Portable External SSD
- Save time moving and editing your files with our lightning-fast, in-house NVMe technology that dramatically increases transfer speeds to up to 1050MB/s. [Read speed only; write speed lower. Based on internal testing; performance may be lower depending on drive capacity, host device, usage conditions, and other factors. 1MB = 1,000,000 bytes.]
- Ruggedized design with a forged aluminum body protects the SSD core and dissipates heat. Its IP55 rating lets you know that it’s water- and dust-resistant while its durable, silicon rubber coating delivers higher impact resistance. (1) [(1) IEC 60529 IP55: Based on internal testing in 2019. Tested to withstand water flow (30 kPa) at 3 min.; limited dust contact does not interfere with the operation. Must be clean and dry before use.]
- With capacity of up to 1TB, creative professionals have enough space for full libraries of content [1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes. Actual user storage less.]
- Compact, pocket-sized design won’t weigh you down when you travel
- Universal compatibility with PCs and Mac computers with USB Type–C and Type-A connections, (2) so you know it will work with the way you work [(2)USB Type-C cable and Type-A adaptor included]
6. G-Technology 4TB G-DRIVE Mobile USB-C Portable External Hard Drive
- Stylish, aluminum design
- With capacities up to 5TB capacity of portable storage (total accessible capacity varies depending on operating environment.)
- Usb-c ready; USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt 3 compatible
- Mac ready; easily reformatted for Windows
- 3-Year Limited manufacturer's warranty
7. LaCie Rugged Mini 4TB External Hard Drive Portable HDD
- Travel with a massive capacity of up to 4TB in an ultra compact portable external hard drive LaCie Rugged Mini
- For those who have a need for speed, seamlessly connect to USB 3.0 computers and transfer content fast with speeds of up to 130MB/s
- Trek confidently with an external hard drive that offers all terrain durability of drop, crush, and water resistance
- Take advantage of a complimentary 1 month membership to the Adobe Creative Cloud All Apps Plan for access to awesome photo and video editing apps
- Enjoy long term peace of mind with the included 2 year limited warranty
8. SAMSUNG T5 Portable SSD 1TB – Up to 540MB/s
- Superfast read write speeds: SSD with V-NAND offers ultra-fast data transfer speeds of up to 540MB/s (up to 4.9x faster than external HDDs); Ideal for transferring large-sized data including 4K videos, high-resolution photos, games and more
- Compact and portable design: Top to bottom shock resistant metal design fits in the palm of your hand and easily slides in your pocket or purse to take work and entertainment on the go
- Secure encryption: Optional password protection and AES 256-bit hardware encryption keeps your personal and private data more secure
- Seamless connectivity: Includes USB type C to C and USB type C to A cables to connect to PCs, Macs, smartphones and other devices
- Warranty and compatibility: 3-year limited warranty; Requires Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks), Android 4.4 (KitKat), or higher; Older versions of the Windows, Mac and Android operating systems may not be supported
9. WD_Black 8TB D10 Game Drive, Portable External Hard Drive
- Extra storage to capture and collect your best in-screen game captures.
- Speed up to 250 MB/s** rated at 7200RPM with active cooling technology to help you stay in the game.
- Features two 7.5W USB Type-A charging ports to charge your gaming gear and accessories.
- Purpose-built for gamers based on WD_Black quality and reliability.
- 3-year manufacturer's limited warranty
10. SanDisk 1TB Extreme Portable External SSD
- High-speed transfers with up to 550MB/s read speeds let you move hi-res photos and videos faster (Based on internal testing; performance may be lower depending on drive capacity, host device, OS and application.)
- Ruggedized, water- and dust-resistant (IP55-rated) (IEC 60529 IP55: Tested to withstand water flow (30 kPa) at 3 Minch; limited dust contact does not interfere with the operation. Must be clean and dry before use.)
- Shock-resistant solid state core for greater durability (Shock-resistant (up to 1500G) and vibration-resistant (5g RMS, 10-2000 HZ), Non-Operating Temperature (from ‐20°C to 70°C), operating temperature (from 0°C to 45°C))
- Compact and pocket-sized
- For PC and Mac users